Planned procedure with a threshold (PPwT) is part of the North West London CCG’s commissioning portfolio where a clinician makes a decision whether a patient meets the evidence-based thresholds for treatment defined in the PPwT policy.
There are 33 procedures covered under PPwT policy and a list of procedures can be found on the Hounslow CCG website. These policies cover Central London, West London, Hammersmith & Fulham, Hounslow, Ealing, Brent, Harrow and Hillingdon CCGs.
The access for treatment is either through a clinical authorisation route (PPwT form), or if the procedure or drug is not routinely funded through completion of an Individual Funding Request (IFR) form.
Individual Funding Request
An Individual Funding Request (IFR) is for a patient whose treatment falls under the ‘not normally funded’ category and needs to be considered on an individual patient basis.
- Interventions prior to National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) evaluation
- NICE have evaluated the treatment as not generally cost effective
- Treatments covered by NICE Technology Appraisal Guidance criteria that the patient does not meet
- Treatments where the patient does not fulfil the agreed funding criteria for PPwT and have clinically exceptional circumstances requests to continue funding for patients previously treated:
- within a clinical trial
- by self-funding
- through a decision made by another CCG commissioner where the patient has become the commissioning responsibility of a CCG covered by the terms of this policy
- Requests for referral to a services not commissioned locally and not listed on the national register
- Those which are not funded through the CCG Operating Plans and commissioning contracts
Who can apply for an Individual Funding Request?
This is a clinician lead application, where by the patient clinician or GP is entitled to make an Individual Funding request to the IFR Team by submitting a completed IFR application form along with supporting clinical evidence, for consideration by the NWL IFR Panel.
The IFR team can be contacted for general queries only; patients are advised to contact their GP or hospital clinical team if they require information regarding their IFR case.
Further information is available in the patient information leaflet here