About this engagement
This public engagement is part of work to ensure that all GP services are accessible and able to meet your needs. We are reviewing GP extended access in Brent – these are the extra GP and Nurse appointments provided in the evenings and at weekends. We need to ensure these are accessible to all patients, offering a high quality service and represent value for public money.
Currently, two types of service provide extra GP appointments locally:
- GP Access Hubs – currently nine GP practices in Brent act as ‘hub sites’. Each hub has its own opening times during evenings and/or weekends. Patients access the hub by appointment only (booked through their own GP practice) or when they phone 111. The service is only available to Brent patients e.g. people who are registered with a GP practice in Brent.
- GP Access Centre – there is one GP Access Centre located at the Wembley Centre for Health and Care. This service runs seven days per week 8am to 8pm. It is accessed by walk-in only, you cannot pre-book. It will see any patient – whether they are registered in Brent or not.
Our current contracts for these services are coming to an end, so this is our opportunity to review them and make sure these services are meeting the needs of our patients.
We have some challenges we would like to address – in particular usage, with just under half of available appointments currently not used. Our proposed model will condense the extra appointments across fewer hub sites to enable more consistent opening hours and ensure we can offer appointments at times when people need them (like after-school/early evening). As part of this the GP Access Centre (walk in service) will become a pre-bookable service, which means you will not have to wait as long to be seen and the GP will be able to provide a full service for you.
Why are we seeking your views?
We think the way Brent residents access these additional primary care services could be improved. We have heard from patients and carers that at times it is difficult to get evening, weekend or same day appointments with a GP and we know some people need appointments outside normal working hours.
We are committed to improving access to GP appointments and to making sure our local GP services are easy to use, joined up and coordinated.
NHS Brent CCG wants to engage with patients, the public and other key stakeholders on our proposal to gather your feedback on how we might improve this service and what sort of experience you want, and to ensure we take into account your views and ideas in implementing any changes that are subsequently agreed.
Our engagement period is now underway and will go on until Tuesday 9 January at 5pm.
Have your say
We would like to know the views of local people, patients, carers, staff and community organisations. We want to hear from as many people as possible and ensure there are lots ofopportunities for people to have their say. We are reaching out to the Brent public. We are also working with GPs, patient groups, local Healthwatch organisations and community and voluntary organisations to make sure we reach key groups. If you would like us to come and talk to your group about these proposals please get in touch.
Please read the engagement document before completing the questionnaire. You can either complete it online or by using a printed version and posting it back to us at the address below.
You can also share your views with us in the following ways:
- Attend drop-in events (limited spots in each venue and places will be on a first come basis) – we will be updating the list regularly, so please check back for further meetings:
- Monday 20th November 2017 from 11-1pm in Meeting Room 3 at the Willesden Centre for Health and Care
- Tuesday 21st November 2017 from 12.30 – 2.30pm in the Board Room at the Wembley Centre for Health and Care
- Friday 24th November 2017 from 11-1pm in the Board Room at Hillside Primary Care Centre
- Monday 27th November 2017 from 12-3pm in Room 121 at Chalkhill Primary Care Centre
- Thursday 7th December - Drop in session from 11am-1pm at the Brent Carers Centre. Willesden Medical Centre, 144-150 High Rd, London NW10 2PT
- Monday 11th December – Stall at the GP Access Centre from 9:30am-12:00pm. Wembley Centre for Health and Care, 116 Chaplin Rd, Wembley HA0 4UZ
- Tuesday 19th December – Drop in session from 2:30-4:30pm in Meeting Room 1 at the Willesden Centre for Health and Care, Robson Ave, London NW10 3RY
- Attend a workshop to get more details about the findings of the GP Access review in Brent and discuss locations of future GP Access Hub locations:
- Thursday 21st December 2017 - Workshop to get more details about the findings of the GP Access review in Brent and discuss locations of future GP Access Hub locations from 3-5pm in the CVS training room at CVS Brent 5 Rutherford Way, Wembley HA9 0BP
- Complete a paper survey and post to us at the below address. Our booklet and poster are available here.
- Complete our online survey here
- Write to us at:
HEALTHIER NORTH WEST LONDON
You will not need a stamp
All responses will inform a report, which will go to our Governing Body to consider and make a decision. We will put that report and details of whatever decisions are made on our website.