Self-care is about avoiding becoming ill, treating common illnesses at home and seeking help when you need it. It is also about managing any conditions you have in a way that puts you in control and improves your quality of life.
Don't forget, a well-stocked medicine cabinet can help with minor illnesses and injuries. These should include:
- Paracetamol and/or ibuprofen
- A thermometer
- Selection of plasters
- Elastic bandages and dressings
- Mild antiseptic wipes/spray
- Antihistamines (hayfever tablets)
- Indigestion remedy
The NHS Choices website is full of information, tips and tools that can help put you in charge of your own health and wellbeing.
There you will be able to find:
- An A-Z of treatments and conditions providing explanations on a wide range of illnesses and ailments
- Information, tips and tools to help you stay healthy and live well
Don't forget, the trained advisers at NHS 111 can direct you to the right service for your needs.
NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and calls are free from landlines and mobile phones.